Friday, February 17, 2012

Proud Prude

   Foster Friess, an endorser of Rick Santorum, cracked a joke about old-fashioned contraception yesterday, referring to placing an aspirin between a woman's knees.  The leftist media has been reacting in their usual way, heaping insult upon insult upon this man, Rick Santorum, and the joke.  I have heard this story before, knowing personally a woman who once, upon seeing a pregnant woman, with six children in her wake, walked into our church looking for food from our food bank, gave the woman a quarter and told her to hold it between her legs.  By the way, she also gave her some food.  I admit that I laugh whenever I hear this joke.  And I will tell you why it does not bother me.
   If you stop for a moment and think about what is really being said when this line is being used, you discover that this is a commentary on how far downhill our society has gone over the years in the realm of family values.  There was once a time when about the only contraceptive available was CHOICE.  Men and women would choose not to have sex.  Men and women would choose to have sex when appropriate if they would not want it to result in a pregnancy.  And most importantly, men and women chose to have sex only within the confines of a marriage.  That, by the way, is where God designed sex to be found, and when found there, it is a blessing from God. 
   Look where we have come.  Much of contraception is used for the express purpose of providing an opportunity for men and women to have sex outside the confines of a marriage.  Schools are expected to teach children about sex, in many cases beginning in Kindergarten.  This teaching in government schools makes no mention of God's plan for sex to be limited to a marriage.  Emphasis is put on teaching children to have safe sex, not abstaining from it.  And anyone who disapproves of this activity is branded as being from the Dark Ages, not "with it", or to put it bluntly.....a prude.  Well, I am going to announce to you that I am a prude....and proud of it.
   I get direction for my life from God's Word.  I firmly believe that the Bible is the only source of pure truth in our world.  I trust that God knows what is best for us, and He tells us what that is in His Word.  I am saddened by what our world has become.  I also know from God's Word, that a Savior was sent to this world long ago to deal with the sinfulness of this world.  Because of His death on the cross, Jesus, the Christ, is ready and willing to forgive me and everyone else of their sins.  We have that great news to share with this sinful world.  However, we are also to point out what is sinful, otherwise a person will not feel the need for Jesus. 
   I take comfort from knowing that I am not the only Proud Prude in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment