Wednesday, March 14, 2012

War ON the States

Once again the Department of Justice is blocking the implementation of a state law. This time it is a law stipulating a photo ID to be required by residents of Texas in order to vote. I do not remember another time in my lifetime when there were so many efforts on the part of the Federal government to impede laws which have been passed by the states.
Upon looking up the term "federalism" in Wikipedia, I quickly noted that the writer described federalism as an "evolving" idea. The article then proceeds to list changes which have been made to this concept of government over the years since the Constitution was ratified. I, for one, do not think the framers of the Constitution intended that the original concept of federalism be changed. I think they intended for to have a limited central government with the states reserving the powers which are not given to the central government.
In my opinion, we have a Justice Department that does not understand justice. We also have an administration that does not understand the Constitution. We need big changes in Washington, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment