Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Akin is Mistaken

   I suppose I ought to write some thoughts I have on the Todd Akin circus.

  • His controversial remarks were not just misspoken, he was stupid to say them.  
  • It is a shame that a man's whole career is likely to be ruined over one sentence.
  • This scenario once again illustrates, at least in my perspective, the double standards that exist in America when you compare how the media responds to GOP missteps and how they respond to Democrat missteps.  Just look at how they handle the almost endless list of gaffes made by our Vice President.
  • About a month ago, a Minnesota lawmaker was caught having oral sex with a teenager.  As of today, he has not resigned.  I also ask you if you have even heard the story reported?
  • It appears to me that Republican politicians usually apologize when they mess up (and they should).  They also usually end up resigning in disgrace.  However, in similar situations, Democrat politicians do not appear to think that similar behavior is even wrong, and they on occasion even become heroic in the eyes of the media in the long run.  Sen. Kennedy and President Clinton come to mind.
  • By the way, one thing that astounds me is that there are plenty liberals who state that they think there are double standards from the media in the other direction.
  • As one who believes that life begins at conception, I do not think it matters what the circumstances are that caused that life.  It is still a life and should not be terminated.  Ideally, that decision should be made by the mother.  What is REALLY wrong is government money being used to fund abortions.  Arguments can be made that this is not happening, but I submit that it indeed is happening.   I get sick when I think that some of my tax money is being used to commit murder.
  • I am also appalled that Pres. Obama has always gotten a pass on the fact that he supported legislation that would have legalized infanticide.
  • Regardless of who is on the ballot in November, I will not be voting for Sen. McCaskill.  This is a matter of doing what is best for the future of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment