Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Handling Other People's Money

I have found that I deal with spending my own money and spending someone else's money differently. I have been in positions where I have had the responsibility of handling someone else's money. With that responsibility in mind, I have been especially careful in spending and accounting for that money. Much careful thought went into making spending decisions, knowing that those decisions might have an impact on the success of the organization. I know that I would certainly have the money available before making any purchases. On occasion, when I felt something was especially needed for which we did not have the money, efforts were made to raise the funds for it. If the organization's money ran out, I would do what I could to stop spending. With my own money, I find myself not agonizing over finding the best bargains. I often buy things which cost more just because it may be more convenient. Sometimes I pay more in order to support a business owned by someone I care about. I figure it is money that I have earned. I can spend it the way I want.
Apparently, there are other people out there that act in ways that are opposite mine. When handling other people's money, they become free and loose with those decisions. They also use other people's money to support their friends' businesses. If they do not have the money available to them, they often simply borrow it, and the organization is deeper in debt. In some cases, these people manage to spend someone else's money on themselves. I know that I could not live with myself if I made these kind of decisions. I would be consumed with guilt.
So I perceive that there are two basic kinds of people. The first kind is the kind like me who is MORE careful with someone else's money(and I am guessing that you are also in that group). The second kind of people would be the kind that works for our government these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment