Friday, April 6, 2012

An Almost Unrecognizable Anthem

   The National Anthem is endangered.  After hearing the renditions of the National Anthem at the NCAA Finals and the Cards/Marlins baseball opener, I am more convinced that we are getting farther and farther away from the Anthem's melody.  So-called artists seem intent on singing the Anthem in ways which barely resemble the original tune.  It comes in many forms.  In some instances, the notes of the song change.  In others the length of the notes change, as indicated by holding onto a certain note for an extended time, especially on the word, "free".  Then there are the various ways that extra notes are added to the melody.  I think these vocalists feel they must do something different in order to be noticed.  They must feel that they cannot sing the song the way that anyone else has.
   I do not think that I am the only one that loves to sing along with the National Anthem.  I even think that the Anthem SHOULD be sung by crowds, not by individuals only.  I believe it is a way for Americans to show pride in their country.  It doesn't matter how well people in the crowd sing; it is all about what is in someone's heart.  I even think that because fewer people are singing along with the Anthem, fewer people are positive about what the words are.  If I was ever asked to sing the Anthem, I would introduce it by saying, "Please join me in singing."
   My preference would be for the music for the Anthem be played over the speakers and asking the crowd to provide the words and singing.  I would go one step farther and encourage all of you to sing boldly the next time the National Anthem is sung.  Ignore the melody of any artist's version and just sing the song you grew up with.  And sing proudly.
   The National Anthem has joined other historical documents, like the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, which come under the category, "It's not good enough.  We must change it."  I prefer saying, "Let's go back to what made us great."  Let the Anthem be sung by WE THE PEOPLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment